Monday, July 18, 2011

The Journey

The chronicles of one becoming a chaplain. In the circles where I function, the question arises,
      "what do you do,? I mean what does a chaplain do on a fire scene, you can't pull hose..!"

Nope. I cannot pull hose or drive an engine or climb a ladder. Once in a while I am able talk with a survivor of a fire.
I give assurances, try to give hope as we wait together for fire fighters to finish knocking down the flames. I wait. I try to answer questions about medications left in the house, a purse, or shoes.

Ministry of presence is difficult to measure. It is not the same as giving a sacrament although being with someone during one of their darkest moments is very sacred. Sitting with someone during their moments of confusion, pain, anger, and helplessness is one component of my job. I am a fire chaplain.

My contribution to the community's well being and assistance to the fire fighters is to provide my presence to the survivor's family until the Red Cross or extended family arrive. What ever practical piece of writing or fetching of medication or passing along of information I can do to make work or life easier for participants, I will do. It is such a minor thing but then the survivors demonstrate a thankfulness like they were thanking a relative when I stay behind after the fire fighters have gone. Such was the journey that day.

1 comment:

  1. Being there is always a ministry when it's a person as kind-hearted as you. Thank you for giving of yourself this way.

    ReplyDelete